Home > Beers > ALDI Beer – cheap piss, and the demise of Cartlon Dry Fusion Black

ALDI Beer – cheap piss, and the demise of Cartlon Dry Fusion Black

Seriously cheap beer

The last beer discovery in Canberra was made at the Canberra Central branch of ALDI. In NSW, we are not able to buy alcohol in a supermarket. Whilst there are many bottle shops adjacent to a supermarket, none are part of the supermarket like the UK, US, Europe and China. This is not the case in the ACT and apparently Victoria and ALDI has exploited this with a “liquor” section offering wine, spirits and beer.

Colour's the highlight

In keeping with other ALDI lines, ALDI beer is ridiculously cheap and branded in a faintly ridiculously legitimate way. They’ve applied a similar approach to wine, beer and Irish Cream made on a wine base – but you’d need to go to a blog specialising in those categories to find out what is going on there. It is possible to get a real brand like Mythos or Asahi, and these appear cheap – but I can’t be sure. A case of 30 cans of Bugle Bay (a “bitter”) is $34.99, a case of Low Carb beer is $28.99 and a case of Storm Light is $19.99.

skin-deep similarity only

I tried two ALDI beers – Cape Cyan Natural Blonde and Shipstone’s Crew Fine Amber Ale. As expected, Cape Cyan doesn’t exist, and I’m not sure if the ALDI branding department is being ironic by ensuring that there is no blue in any of the packaging or labelling. It is a low carb beer and has been rendered completely tasteless. At 4.7% and $28.99 a case it is probably the best low carb beer in the market as it tastes (or doesn’t) the same as all other low carb beers but is significantly cheaper. There’s nothing icky about it, it’s just completely flavourless. Shipstone’s Crew does actually taste like something, and has a reasonable hue to it that suggests some effort has gone into making this. There’s beer label hyperbole talking about hops and malt and nutty taste and at $28.99 a case, if you just want to get pissed, this is your poison.

From the mythical Bugle Bay

Neither ALDI offering was worse than a beer launched by Carlton in 2010. Carlton Dry Fusion Black “graced” these pages in December last year and was pillioried. It is good to see that the Australian public has rejected this abomination as well and now bottleshops around the country are stuck with pallets of this cat’s piss. I can’t recall seeing a case of ful strength beer being this cheap this decade – but I reckon they’ll need to give it away to get anyone to drink it. I had one, and wouldn’t be paid to drink this crap. It would appear I’m not the only one.

Still $23 too expensive

1. Davo
    21/09/2011 at 4:22 pm

Bugle Bay is awesome

2. Poidaah
    23/10/2011 at 4:32 pm

Are they taking the PISS??? Bugle Bay…. why not FART Laaager

3. Peter
    01/05/2012 at 12:55 pm

Made in Victoria. Same colour can as Melbourne Bitter, tastes like Melbourne Bitter, must be….

4. 01/06/2012 at 5:05 pm

WHAT?!… Give me the choice of expensive brands like Stella Artois or Crown or Corona, or Heineken or whatever else… and the cheap Bugle Bay “piss”, and I will choose Bugle Bay anytime… (…It seems, for some people everything that’s expensive is automatically GOOD, and everything that is cheap is necessarily of poor quality… WRONG!)…

• bladdamasta
      01/06/2012 at 6:43 pm

Constantine

Thanks for the comment. I actually thought that one of the Aldi beers was really good. The “cheap piss” heading was more just a humorous heading than a comment on Aldi beer. That said Cape Cyan is piss, but as the article – cheaper than other piss.

5. Rawleigh cox
    27/07/2012 at 4:27 pm

Were is bugle bay bitter gone?? Was on shelf then next gone…..

• bladdamasta
      28/07/2012 at 11:39 am

Not sure – haven’t been to an ALDI with grog for some time

6. pete
    16/08/2012 at 8:16 pm

i have been given a bottle of Aldi piss by my tightarse old man and have been frightened to drink the shit, maybe i will keep it on ice until he comes to my place

7. Joe
    10/09/2012 at 4:42 pm

I rang Aldi Office and asked them what has happened to Bugle Bay Beer, they said it’s been taken off their shelves but if enough people ring up about it they will bring it back, come on peoples of fine taste and ‘ring em up’
    Bugle Bay Connoisseur. :)

• bladdamasta
      10/09/2012 at 6:16 pm

Joe

I think they’ve replaced it with Rivet. 330ml cans at $24.99 a case.

• Joe
        10/09/2012 at 9:58 pm

Thanks Bladdamasta, I bought a case today to give it a try, it’s not bad but I still prefer Bugle Bay @ 375ml for a 30 can slab for same price and made in Vic. Just read the label and Rivet is made in Vietnam, bugger!!
        Damn, I have to find a good beer that’s naturally brewed in Vic, I can’t drink any of the commercially made shit, I feel crook for a few days after if I do.

8. STAN DIXON
    16/11/2012 at 8:33 am

PLEASE BRING BACK BUGLE BEER

• Joe Micallef
      16/11/2012 at 9:20 am

I totally agree bring back Bugle Bay Beer and leave it in 375ml 30 can slabs.

9. Laurie
    07/01/2013 at 10:12 pm

Bloody typical… yeah, okay for NSW /Vic / & ACT. While the rest of us have to make do with all the usual “overpriced” pub & supermarket outlets…other than Aldi. When are we (QLD) going to be treated as adults and be allowed to buy beer like the rest of the country…???

• Joe
      08/01/2013 at 2:57 pm

Ya hoooee, Bugle Bay Beer back on the shelves 12th Jan here in Vic limited stock, I’ll be getting a few slabs, woo hoo!!

10. kenny
    10/02/2013 at 4:52 pm

I thought the beer was very good for the price.

1. No trackbacks yet.